photo lamanutama_zps42d97f2a.jpg  photo ORGANISASI_zpsa868b266.jpg  photo HUBUNGIKAMI_zpsd43bda8f.jpg  photo AKTIVITI_zps0d100c36.jpg  photo GALERI_zps03a7497e.jpg

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Sharing is Caring : Youth Leadership Academy

BY:
DAYANG ROZIEKAH USSIN 
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OF STUDENTS' EXECUTIVE COUNCIL KIZ

Youth Leadership Academy. YLA. Have you ever heard of this?

So what is YLA? Based on the official website of YLA, Youth Leadership Academy (YLA) is a 12-week project-based, leadership development program designed for local university students. The program revolves around 3 workshops, a project, and a unique mentoring program that really makes this a life-changing experience.

So I managed to join in YLA 2014 and well, I'm gonna share my experience with you guys, if you're interested hihi. I knew this program from our beloved Pengetua who posted this on facebook. So yup, never just simply scroll down your facebook without really checking out whatever announcement or info people are sharing. Because there's opportunity everywhereeee~

So to get accepted into this program, we have to go through a few phases of selection including a walk-in interview. Oh wait, before I continue; I know most of us are scared and won't even give it a try when we know there's interview and selection process- no, never do that. Be brave, give it a try. You're not going to loss anything, instead you're going to learn a lot from it. Just try, okay?

Okay back to my story, if I'm not mistaken, I had to first fill in an online form and write an essay about me, my experience, my vision and mission, and things like that. After that phase, there's a second phase which was an online interview. I got to answer in a two minutes video question like, "What would you do if you have an infinite amount of money to spend?". Interesting right? So if it's you, what's your answer? Hehe

Few forgive-my-short-term-memory-can't-recall-how-long-exactly-I-had-to-wait later, I got a phone call and an email that I was one of the short listed candidates and I had to go for an interview in McKinsey, KLCC. Fuhhh I seriously couldn't believe it and so I went for the interview. And a long story short, I got in!! Hoorayyy

There are three workshops I had to attend. Unfortunately, due to family matter, I missed the first workshop. It's okay because whatever it is, family comes first. Right? So don't forget to call your family every single day peeps, that's the simplest thing that we can do for them! :)

Okay back to the main topic. We were sorted out into groups. After the first workshop which I didn't attend, my group members found me virtually (lol) and added me on facebook. They were Rebecca from UTM (I've actually met her earlier during the interview), Kenny from UM, Daniel from Monash University and Ishvinder from MMU. And we got two mentors from McKinsey, Senthu and Nazrul. So guess what? We gotta come up with a project and have it done in 12 weeks!
:) not everyone's in the picture though
It's already a challenge when you have to work with these complete strangers- let alone having to manage a 12 weeks high impact project! Just imagine you've never met them before, you didn't know how these guys work and suddenly poofff you gotta work with them! In 12 weeks! But Alhamdulillah, they're one of the best teams I've ever worked with and we managed to get our project done by time, successfully!

I learned a lot from this. I learned how to make full use of social media as a medium to work! Haha you see, we didn't come from the same place so thank god for the Internet we managed to work things out together. On another note, each one of us had our own commitment to attend so it's quite a task to find time to sit together, be it virtually or for real. The key point if you're facing a situation like this is- to be understanding. Yes, if you understand each other, it's easier for you to compromise and work on things together.

All this while I learned theoretically that in an organisation, utilizing your teammates' strength is important to move your team to one level higher- and well, it's true! We recognized each other's strength and we divided the task based on it. It worked! Well I think it's because generally, people tend to do their best when they know it's their strength and when they know they're good at it. So yeah it's a tip for you, if you're still reading this ( thank you bcs you made it here I'm touched! :') ) lol

Personally, I know I didn't give my 100% commitment in this project. I'm not trying to give any excuse, but (lol still giving myself an excuse, shame on me) at the time- I was overwhelmed with the first year students' orientation week and all the weeks of preparing for it. So yup, I don't feel like I contributed that much, but thank God for my thoughtful teammates, they gave me tasks that suit my time and capability. And lesson learnt from that? I learned to manage my time better and to balance all of my responsibilities well.


Throughout all the three workshops (for me, two) and the project, I met many new people. These people I met- I super love their work ethic, how they carry themselves around people and the positivity that they have simply shine through their personality- I learned a lot from them! I was so impressed with their self-confidence and evvvvvverything and believe me when I say they're all very successful young leaders with lots of experiences and achievements that made me feel so small. Seriously T.T But I observed them and I learned from them as not everything you can learn from books, sometimes it's from each other that we learn the most.

Okay I better stop myself from writing more. There's so much things to share with you guys because I seriously gained a lot from this-
but why not you (and me) go out there, grab whatever chance there is, and experience things ourselves? 
After all, experience is the best teacher ;)

And with that, I'm gonna leave you guys with some pictures:
With one of the speakers during the workshop, Dato' Farid, CEO of Maybank.
From him I learned about the power of an introvert.
While you might not know this because I don't look like one as I look like I have an outgoing personality,
I'm actually an introvert. Surprise surprise!


The most precious thing about all of this is the friendship that we built :)

Oh ya almost forgot to mention the project that we're working on, it's Asthma Malaysia!
Well, let's just like Asthma Malaysia facebook page for more details!




So that's all about it. 
All good things come from Allah and all the bad things are from my side.
Have a nice week!


1 comment: